Device and Player Management
Table of Contents
The IntuiFace Share and Deploy console incorporates a number of device and experience management capabilities inspired by the digital signage community. These capabilities are helpful whether you have a single in-the-field display or thousands.
NOTE: All Player and device management capabilities are exclusively to Enterprise-level IntuiFace accounts. Essential and Premier-level accounts do not have access to the capabilities listed below.
After logging into My IntuiFace, the Share and Deploy console provides visibility to every instance of an activated IntuiFace Player licensed for the specified IntuiFace account. The resulting list of devices - located in the "Manage My Players" view - includes Player for Windows, Player for Kiosks and Player for Tablets.
Device names are used to reference each instance of Player. If Player is running, the thumbnail image for a given device is a screen-grab that is updated every 10 seconds.
NOTE" The thumbnail image will only refresh for Player running on Windows, Android, iOS and ChromeOS devices. It will not be automatically refreshed for Player running on Samsung SSP devices. On Samsung SSP devices, the thumbnail image will be a snapshot of the experience generated by Composer during the experience publishing process; it will not be refreshed unless the experience is assigned a new snapshot image by Composer.
Whether or not a device can be seen by the Share and Deploy console depends on the following factors:
- The device must have a live Internet connection, one that permits communication with the URL myintuiface.intuilab.com
- For Windows PCs, port 8000 must be open. To open it, run the IntuiFace Configuration Tool as directed, making sure the the Remote Actions option is selected.
- Player must be running
- Player for Kiosks: Yes.
- Player Tablets: Yes.
- Player for Windows: No. There is a small Player process that runs in the background even when the Player runtime itself is inactive.
- In the "Manage My Players" view, select the device you wish to rename.
- Click on the edit button to enter editing mode in order to change the name of the device
- You can now enter a custom device name, cancel the rename, or revert the name of the device to its original name.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The device nickname is currently only reflected in the Share and Deploy Console. The actual device name is unchanged so events logged using the DataTracking feature will continue to use the actual machine name as an identifier.
Player for Kiosks and Tablets limitation : Device nicknames are lost when uninstalling and re-installing Player for Tablets and Player for Kiosks.
Using the Delist button on any offline device will remove the device from the list. This option makes it easy to dismiss devices no longer used.
If a previously delisted device comes back online and has an IntuiFace Player running on it, it will again appear in your devices list.
The list of monitored devices can be sorted using a variety of criteria, all located along the right-hand side of the Players view in the Share and Deploy console.
Sorting criteria include
- Platform choose any one or more operating systems
- Status specify whether you mean online devices, offline devices or both
- Sort by additional criteria that complement your Platform and Status selections above. Choose any one of the following:
- Device name alphabetizes by device name from A through Z
- Is online places online devices at the top of the list
- Last activity date places devices with the most recent activity date at the top
- Deployment in progress places devices in the process of experience deployment at the top of the list
- Running experience alphabetizes by running experience name from A through Z
Each device monitored by the Share and Deploy console can be assigned one or more tags. Use of these tags permits device filtering. For example, apply the tag "boston" to all Player-based kiosks running in the Boston area. In addition, Player tags will appear in every data point logged by the Data Tracking interface asset.
- In the "Manage My Players" view, select all the devices you wish to tag. To select more than one Player, filter by name/tab/platform/status, select the triangle in the lower-left corner of each Player you'll be targeting then click the "All selected devices" button.
- Type one or more tags, separated by commas, in the tags section.
- Enter one or more tags in the box labeled [ENTER TAGS HERE]
- The list of devices is filtered dynamically. The left-hand device represents all filtered devices.
IntuiFace Player can be controlled in a variety of ways using the Share and Deploy console. These capabilities are accessible in the information panel that appears whenever you select one or more devices in the "Manage My Players" view. To select more than one Player, filter by name/tag/platform/status, select the triangle in the lower-left corner of each Player you'll be targeting then click the "All selected devices" button.
Deploy newer versions of Player for Windows using the Share and Deploy console. Never visit a kiosk in the field again!
Force Player to restart. If Player was in Play Mode, it will return to Play Mode with the last run experience.
On any PC running Player for Windows, you can force a Windows reboot. And if you have configured Player to autorestart - as described here - then after a reboot and Windows account login, Player will automatically restart.
The protected Player for Tablets and Kiosks on Android devices - Downloadable on this page automatically starts IntuiFace Player when the device is rebooted (e.g. after turning on the tablet).
For Windows PCs, you can configure Player so that if the PC is rebooted - either intentionally or by accident due to a crash - Player will automatically start itself (after Windows account login). For details, see this article.
When starting Player - either manually or automatically - you can decide whether it should run the last opened experience or just display the Experiences panel. Select the checkbox for the option you prefer.
Touch and hold the highlighted area of the Splash-screen after launching the Player to bypass the automatic launch of last Playing experience and display the Experiences panel
Logs recording all actions performed by Player can help IntuiLab Support troubleshoot issues should something with Player go wrong. These logs are accessible via the Logs tab. These logs can be filtered based on date and then downloaded to an Excel file for sharing with Support.
Nota: date and times are only available in UTC time, not yet in the player local time
Expired Player licenses can be renewed by selecting the "Resume subscription" option located next to the license key in the Player Details panel. This feature enables you to target the specific device(s) on which you'd like to reactivate a license. A subscription can be renewed even if the device is offline.
Emails can be automatically sent to a specified email address when a Player device goes offline or returns online. This email includes the time stamp in UTC, the version of Player, and - if going offline - the name of the experience that was running at the time (if any).
To toggle this feature - and to specify the email address that should be contacted - use the Player Status Notification section of the Preferences tab in the Player detail view. You can set this on a per-Player basis or for a group of Players.