Our support site has moved to https://support.intuiface.com

Experience working flawless in Composer preview and windows player, not working at all on Android

Robert Wessberg

27 Jun, 2018 08:46 AM

Hi!

Please advice what we can do to improve for android player

This is a quite urgent matter

We shared the experience to support

Experience name FastighetsbyrånStåendeGrund

Many thanks in advance

1. 1 Posted by Helen Pazen on 27 Jun, 2018 04:02 PM

Hello Robert

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue! Are you running the most recent version of the Android Player software? If you are, have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it?

Helen

2. 2 Posted by Robert Wessber... on 28 Jun, 2018 01:48 PM

Hello Helen,

I am running the version 6.2.1 +554 which would be the latest version. I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Player but the same problem remains.

/Robert

3. 3 Posted by Sébastien Meuni... on 29 Jun, 2018 01:30 PM

Hi Robert,

In addition to the answer provided in this other support thread, here is a thing you can do within your Experience to simplify / optimize it.

Airtable handles attachments as tables, even if you have only 1 item attached in a field. Therefore, IntuiFace generates a collection where a single asset, bound to the first (and only one) item in this collection would be sufficient.

See attached the current "complex" structure automatically generated because of Airtable structure, as well as the simplified one you can use.
    This will definitely help Player for Android to to run more smoothly.

Best regards,

Sebastien

4. 4 Posted by Robert Wessber... on 02 Jul, 2018 02:58 PM

Hi Sebastien,
    I have now tried to convert the presentation according to your image of the simplified structure. This didn't help unfortunately. Some PDF's still show up as a broken link (file name is changed to appropriate variant). And at the end of the presentation it freezes and doesn't restart.
    When I'm running the presentation on a windows computer it works smooth without a glitch.

Attached you will find an image of the structure I'm using now. The highlighted part is vital in order to get the small personel images to switch place on some slides. I couldn't figure out how to get that trigger to work on an image asset.

The experience is called FastighetsByrånLiggandeGrund - Test3. Can you access it?

5. 5 Posted by Sébastien Meuni... on 02 Jul, 2018 04:56 PM

Hi,

Can you please share it with our support team so we can have a look at it? (instructions below).

Thanks

Sebastien

To share the Experience, you can choose any of the following methods:

1. Publish your experience, then on the Share and Deploy console select the tab "Share with account" and share it with the email address "xp-for-support (at) intuilab.com" as "reader".

2. Put a zip of your experience on a sharing website such as Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc and then share it with the email address "xp-for-support (at) intuilab.com".

When you are done, simply reply to this thread and let us know the name of your experience. We will then download it and start our investigations.

6. 6 Posted by Robert Wessber... on 06 Jul, 2018 07:30 AM

Hello,
    I have now shared the experience with your preferred e-mail address. Please let us know as soon as you have some news on the issue.

Thank you for your support!

/Robert N

7. 7 Posted by Mihai on 09 Jul, 2018 03:34 PM

Hi Robert,

Thank you for sharing the project with our team. We have managed to reproduce the issues you have encountered.

The dynamic rendering of PDF files on tablet devices is very expensive in terms of performances, let me briefly explain how it works. Each page of the pdf is converted into a bitmap by Intuiface. If the PDF is dynamically loaded (for example coming from an Excel Interface Asset or Airtable), the tablet needs to do all the work, thus the rendering time will be slower. On the other hand, if the PDF is locally loaded in Composer's content library, it is the Windows device which will render bitmaps for each page of the PDF, thus the Player on a tablet device will only have to load the images generated by Composer. By not having to generate all the images itself, the rendering of a PDF file will be faster.

There are several approaches you can use to make the rendering faster, for example you could shrink the size of the PDF files, (4MB for one page pdf is a bit large) shrinking the size of these files will help the player generate the images faster, thus faster render for the content of your experience. A second approach would be to use images instead of PDF files. Since you only need to display one page, an image will load faster as it is lighter than a PDF.

To obtain an infinite scrolling effect, a bulletproof solution would be to use the Carousel asset instead of the Asset Grid. You can configure the Carousel to have the same appearance as the Asset Grid, and, instead of using Scroll to first item (when it reaches the end), you can simply create one single trigger/action as follows:

WHEN - Carousel - timer has elapsed (20 seconds) - THEN - Carousel - Next

The above trigger/action will create an infinite loop of the Carousel since this collection does not have an end position.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
    Mihai

8. 8 Posted by Robert Wessber... on 11 Jul, 2018 08:13 AM

Hello Mihai,
    thank you for your answer and suggestions for a solution to our problems.

However, I'm afraid they wont solve our issue with this particular customer. The program they work in only produce PDF-files in this size - and can not produce images either. The option to convert PDF to an image is also rejected by the customer as it would demand extra work on their part, something they are not willing to do.

Would a stronger hardware work better?

Kind regards,
    Robert N

9. 9 Posted by Sébastien Meuni... on 17 Jul, 2018 06:00 PM

Hi Robert,

Regarding the PDFs that appear as a broken link, it looks like there's an issue, only happening on Android (or iPad) and not in the Player for tablet's play mode of Composer, with URLs containing blanks or special characters.
    Until our product team fixes this on their side, could you please modify the PDF's filenames to avoid these characters and confirm that solves this issue?

Can you also give us more details about the hardware you are using? As a comparison, we make our tests on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A6, with a Exynos 7870 Octa-core CPU (4x1.6 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4x1.0 GHz Cortex-A53) and 2GB of RAM.

Thanks

Sebastien

10. 10 Posted by robert.wessberg on 21 Jul, 2018 12:20 PM

Dear Seb

Thanks for your mail. This is a high priority for our customer as

is very frustrated that it will not work as we have promised.

Unfortunately, my colleague is on vacaton until 1st of August

but we will test it as soon as we are back again and hopefully it will run as planned 

We are running a Asus Tinkerbard wih Cortex-A17 Quad-core with latest android OS.

This is a link to our swedish distributer:

https://www.elfa.se/sv/tinker-board-gb-asus-90mb0qy1-m0eay0/p/30083025?queryFromSuggest=true

Hope that this could help looking forward to hear from soon again.

Best regards

// Robert

Från: Sébastien Meunier <[email blocked]>
    Skickat: den 17 juli 2018 20:00
    Till: [email blocked]
    Ämne: Re: Experience working flawless in Composer preview and windows player, not working at all on Android [Player for tablet (iPad, Android) or Kiosk (SSSP-Tizen, ChromeOS) #1095]

11. 11 Posted by Robert Wessber... on 23 Jul, 2018 11:26 AM

Hi Sebastien,
    regarding the file names we have been very careful not to use any special characters. Examples of file names are such as "fruan.pdf", "LobergDammtorp1.pdf"

Kind regards,
    Rob N

12. 12 Posted by Sébastien Meuni... on 23 Jul, 2018 01:30 PM

Hi Robert,

Please see in the attached snapshot what I get from Airtable when launching the last version you shared with us.
    For ex, items 2 and 4 of this list have special characters in the URL.

Best regards,

Sebastien

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac